- Get The Facts
- Take Action
- News & Events
- Join Us
- Our Vision
Hands Off Point Peron group (HOPP) have slammed today’s decision by Federal Environment Minister Hunt to grant conditional approval for the Mangles Bay marina.
HOPP Spokesperson Dawn Jecks said, “The Government approvals process, for what is in fact a proposal for a private canal housing estate on public land at Point Peron, has been an absolute sham from the outset.
“It’s outrageous what the developers Cedar Woods and LandCorp are trying to get away with. It’s not a marina, it’s not in Mangles Bay, and it’s not even in the sea.
“The community have exposed massive flaws in this canal estate proposal and over 10,000 West Australians have signed petitions to say they don’t want this destructive and flawed proposal to go ahead.
“Experts in coastal oceanography have also expressed concerns that this project would be another Port Geographe Bay disaster because the design is the same. That EPA approved disaster cost WA taxpayers $28 million to fix the mess once the developers cut and run.
“Why is it that both the WA and Federal Government are continuing to put developers and big business interests ahead of the people?
“Why is it that developers and big business can flout the laws and get away with it?
“There is also the issue of the land; the Commonwealth State 1964 Land Agreement has been ignored and there has been no business case made for such as destructive proposal.
“The fact that this proposal had made it this far smacks of incompetence, corruption and greed reminiscent of the worse days of the WA Inc. era.
“Rockingham locals simply will not stand by and allow their local amenity and local tourism industry to be decimated because of incompetence and pure greed
“The community fight back is only just beginning. We have the science and the truth on our side. If the Government won’t protect the public interest then the community will step up do it. People Power will stop this”
WE WANT TO STOP the proposed Marina and Inland Canal Development at Mangles Bay - in Point Peron, Rockingham, Western Australia.
1. Point Peron was given to the people of Western Australia in 1964 by the Commonwealth Government strictly for the purpose of RECREATION . It was intended to be the ‘Kings Park of the South’ for all to enjoy. Stipulations included NO private, commercial or industrial development. Tearing up this agreement, signed by the then WA Premier Sir David Brand and Prime Minister Sir Robert Menzies would be an an unconscionable BREACH OF FAITH;
2. The State Government has just had to fork out over $28M to bail out the canal/marina development disaster at Port Geographe;
3. This would have a devastating impact on the Mangles Bay seagrass meadows, a marine nursery for snapper, crabs and whiting and important habitat for penguins, dolphins and many seabirds. It would also destroy 40 hectares of ‘Bush Forever’;
4. Canal developments have been banned in NSW and Victoria because of their adverse economic and environmental impacts;
5. A 500 boat pen Hillarys style marina has been fully approved off the main cafe strip in Rockingham, which is a far more environmentally and economically sensible location for a marina;
6. Local cafes, restaurants and businesses around the Rockingham foreshore are struggling as it is and building a commercial marina 1 kilometre down the road (another hub) with more shops, hotels and restaurants would draw business away from the underutilised existing foreshore area and hurt local business owners. Other marinas around Perth are also struggling, including Hillarys, Fishermans Wharf and Dolphin Quay in Mandurah;
7. This development is HIGH RISK - There are NO investors at this stage to build the public/commercial enclave for the marina (which is the part that the developers are using to entice the public)? It appears Cedar Woods are only required to develop and carve up the residential lots and sell them off? Who is going to build the commercial marina with its cafes, restaurants and hotels in this economic environment with so many other marinas being underutilized? Would tax payers end up having to finish off the job? For how long will the developers be responsible for any costly environmental issues that need fixing?
8. Studies show that tourists are not interested in modern man-made canal developments. Tourists tell researchers they want to see nature and natural environments. See article with comments by former Tourism Minister;
9. Point Peron has been deliberately neglected and is in need of a face lift, but it would be far more valuable to the local economy and WA as a tourist and day tripper destination, if it is protected and maintained as an eco-tourism park. Kings Park is Perth’s number one tourist destination, because people like to see local natural environments.
10. Scientists and engineering professionals are very concerned that the hydrology of the area would be badly affected and cause salination issues with ground water and affect nearby Lake Richmond and threaten the rare Thrombolites (living fossils);
11. Point Peron’s Mangles Bay is very shallow, so to allow access for boating traffic in and out of a marina, a deep channel would need to be dredged right through the seagrass meadows (a marine nursery), which would be an absolute travesty in itself, but it would also stir up mercury and other heavy metals that have settled over the decades from Cockburn Sound heavy industry. Seabird feathers in the area already show high levels of mercury. A worst case scenario would be a ban on eating fish caught in the area or even perhaps a ban on swimming?
URGENT ACTION is NOW required to save Point Peron...!
For more information on the proposed development, please follow this link
HOW YOU CAN HELP? HAVE YOUR VOICE HEARD!
We are a local ‘not for profit’ and ordinary Mums and Dads type organisation. Funds are desperately needed to help with printing and advertising costs and potential legal costs as the campaign heats up. Please considering donating what you can afford - Even just a small amount would be put to very efficient use. Thanks in anticipation.
To donate, please note your name as a reference and payment can be made in to the following bank account
Account Name: Hands Off Point Peron Inc
ACC: 14274 4192
How you can help:
|LETTERBOXING||PRINT OUR FLYER||SIGN OUR PETITION||WRITE LETTERS TO LOCAL MPs|
Sign the on-line petition
|ATTEND EVENTS & RALLY'S||JOIN US ON FACEBOOK||JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST||WRITE LETTERS TO THE EDITOR|